My Black Does Not Rub Off

Today I literally had to tell an older White man that my Black would not rub off on him.

Here's the story...

I was at a carpenters union picnic at a small amusement park and while the only carpenter I know is Jesus and His daddy I was able to be there with my family to enjoy myself. 

My kids (my two girls, my nephewson RJ, and my niece) wanted to ride the train that does a 3-5 minute 360 around the park. SO in the line we stood. Not only was it really freaking hot, but a group of people (both kids and adults) cut the line and really, really bothered me. When the train got there we were literally the last group of people to get on (we would not have been had those other folks not cut the line but I digress...). Because of where I sit the kids and because this older man was sitting by himself (right behind my kids), I sat with him.

First of all, the seats are not hippie girl friendly. I knew this going in. They also are not conducive for a person taller than 5'2". I am 5'8" that with wide hips. Sitting with someone other than my 7 year old daughter, I knew, was taking one for the team. When I got in the seat this older While man begrudgingly scoot over and said to me, "You're probably going to have to find another seat." He saw that I had my kids sitting right there. Thinking that he was talking about the fact that we would be slightly uncomfortable for the 3-5 minute 360 around this time amusement park, I told him that I was sorry but I had to sit there because of its proximity to my children.

As the ride began, I started to notice that he tried ever so hard to scoot over. 

                UMMMM SIR, THERE'S NO WHERE TO GO.

I also noticed that he kept rubbing his left hit and muttering obscenities under his breath. Something along the lines of "this damned Black Bitch". I took it in stride, after all God does know my heart. I really tried very hard to let it go. Until that 3rd Black Bitch came out....

Instead of going to 100 on the attitude meter I started being overly attentive to my kids in front of me. He just kept rubbing. I looked at him and told him, "you know it doesn't come off." He just stared at me. I don't think he was ready for that response. 

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this was an older White man more than likely from a part of town where the Black population is .0001%. He was raised to hate. It was all he knows. Does it excuse it..NOPE! But seriously, my Black does not rub off. It does not get lighter. It does nothing but remain beautiful. And that is a fact.

Be blessed. Be bold. Be beautiful.


Comments

  1. Breaks my heart that we still have to experience things like this but you handled yourself well...better than most.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unfriended

He Sees The Best In Me