That Hit Me Fast


 So I started a thing yesterday. Or should I say that I restarted a thing that I had already restarted. Did you get that? No? It's okay. That's how my life reads most of the time. I've started to blog again.

BIG WHOOP...

I shared it. 

That's not the headline.

NANCI J. THE WRITER PUBLISHES UNPROOFED BULLSHIT.

That. That's the headline. In sharing it prematurely, I got the feedback that I so desperately asked for in the last blog and it was from one of my good friends. All she said was, "I love this. (As a writer, you might want to proof read it, but the message reads the same)."

She was right. She was 1000% correct and I brushed it off as if she had no right telling me what I should or should not be doing as a writer (even parenthetically).

I hadn't even said thank you before my response was, "Noticed the one mistake (Goodle) it read the way I needed it to." As if I had just written a Pulitzer Prize winning article. Arrogance. 

I go on Facebook and notice that another one of my friends has shared the post. It was probably in tandem with my other friend telling me to proof my shit.

The caption: "Beauty is her name!" followed by some cute emojis. 

I hit the LOVE button. 

BOTH of these women love me without measure. BOTH of these women want nothing but the best for me. BOTH of these women support me. 

I started writing this post immediately on my phone just after posting the blog in questions because I didn't want to miss this immediate lesson on learning how to accept support and love in all forms and to come down off my high ass horse.

I had to check myself and apologize for the off-putting comment back to a woman who, like my other friend, wants nothing, and I mean NOTHING but the best of everything for me.

When was the last time you had to check yourself? When was the last time you stepped back and realized that true friendship comes with some OUCH moments? When was the last time you determined that constructive criticism is not hating but to help? 

Those moments can be painful. Needless to say, I went back and reread what I had written and sure enough, there were more corrections to be made. I needed to proof my work. I was so caught up in the frisson of the moment that I couldn't see that I had messed up a little bit. 

So thank you both for loving me. I thank God for helping me to open my heart up in a way that helps to me know when to lean into something uncomfortable in order to learn the true lessons be taught. 

Sometimes it hits fast. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfriended

He Sees The Best In Me

Jobless not Worthless