Your Stuff Is Not My Stuff

I'm a bit of a flake. I'll admit it. I'll say that I'm going to do something and somehow, some way, I don't do it. Sometimes I can't even give an answer to a question where a simple yes or no will suffice. If I'm honest about why that is, the bottom line answer is, like I said, I'm a flake. There are a whole host of other reasons why this might be the case ranging from me not wanting to be bothered to the tragedy of being so overwhelmed that I feel like I'm really going to go insane if I do something or if I give a simple yes or no.

Last week, I had a friend call me and text me and instant message me a question that could very easily been answered with a simple yes or no. I couldn't do it. Yes, I continued to randomly post things on my social media pages where we were friends and she could see that I was posting but not answering. That for me did not require much thought. It didn't make me feel like if I said one thing and did another that I would have instant anxiety attacks. I never answered her.

Understandably, it annoyed her. I would have been annoyed too. In the correspondence that followed, she said something to me I found interesting. It followed along the lines that everyone is going through something and that other people are struggling with remaining sane as well. Yes. She's right. There are so many other people that deal with so much other stuff. Her point was to tell me that other people have stuff too but they manage to get through it. While I totally understand that, their stuff is not my stuff.

I get so frustrated when I hear people unknowingly diminish how you deal with things by telling you that other people around you deal with things. It's not fair. We are individuals. Yes, there are commonalities in our stuff but the fact remains that I cannot tell someone that they should have been able to do something when in reality, they cannot. I know that she has her own stuff too. I know that she didn't say what she said to diminish me in any way but the fact remains there are too many other people who make statements just like that not knowing that it hurts.

If I could go back in time and just give a simple yes or no, I probably would. If I could. If I knew that it would not cause the sky to fall and the oceans to dry up. This is what a simple yes or no makes me think sometimes. Last week was one of those times. Other times, I'm just a plain flake. I know this. I may or may not be okay with that. It's not one of the most pressing issues in my life right now. The people closest to me know this about me.

The easiest yes that I've ever given was my yes to Christ. Even in all my stuff, He understands. Let me be clear. I'm a flake with Him too. I try not to be but the reality is, it does not work all the time. The great thing about Him is that my stuff IS His stuff. He allows me to give it to Him and rest there gently. For that I am grateful.

Be blessed. Be bold. Be beautiful.  

Comments

  1. I understand that your stuff is not my stuff but I also don't think people disregard what you are going through either. Sometimes people just don't understand the why

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that your stuff is not my stuff but I also don't think people disregard what you are going through either. Sometimes people just don't understand the why

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unfriended

He Sees The Best In Me